5.26.2005

Armed with Gentleness

In the Epistles of Ignatius, I found the fruit of gentleness written of in a rather peculiar way.
From his Letter to the Traillans:
I am sure that you agree with me regarding these matters, for I received a living example of your love, and still have it with me in the person of your bishop, whose very demeanor is a great lesson, whose gentleness is his power; I think that even the godless respect him . . .
Therefore I need gentleness, by which the ruler of this age is destroyed.

The ruler of this age is destroyed by . . . gentleness?

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
-- Colossians 3.12 (NIV)

Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone.
-- Proverbs 25.15 (NIV)