6.03.2005

Constellation


When I look up at the stars at night
What could I find beyond the light?
A hundred million worlds that we ignore.
Who can restrain Pleiades
Or know the laws of heavenlies?
How many times have we been wrong before?

-- from the song “Pleiades” by King’s X

I like that I live out where we can see the stars. I like stargazing, but I confess I always have trouble picking out the constellations. I like to think I have a pretty good imagination, but try as I might, I don’t see “figures.” I just see a bunch of stars.
What is seen when people – you and I or anybody else – look at the Church? Do they see a bunch of individual stars, some shining more brightly or dimly than others? Or do they see in all of the stars the shape of a figure?

Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades? Can you loose the cords of Orion?
Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons or lead out the Bear with its cubs?
Do you know the laws of the heavens? Can you set up God's dominion over the earth?

-- Job 38.31-33 (NIV)

. . .On this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
-- Matthew 16.18b

(The image is of the Pleiades star cluster.)